The Signal Tribune newspaper

Filed under Education

Board of Education recognizes Assistance League for support

The Assistance League of Long Beach was honored at the Long Beach Unified School District Board of Education meeting last month at the LBUSD headquarters.
The league was recognized for its long-standing support of the school district and Long Beach students through its many philanthropic programs. One of its programs, Operation School Bell, has provided students in need with free uniforms since the district implemented the school uniform policy in 1994.
Assistance League President Sandra French and members Pat Reep, Shelly Barbre, Kelly Wigod, Stephanie Eiler and Judy Brown were presented the awards by LBUSD Superintendent of Schools Chris Steinhauser.
Steinhauser complimented the League, saying, “Assistance League and Operation School Bell make our students look and feel great and, by working together, it is a win-win situation.”
“The students get new uniforms, the school district benefits because students come to school prepared to learn and Assistance League volunteers have the satisfaction of knowing they have made a difference,” said Steinhauser in a press release.
This year, Operation School Bell funding is being raised through the One Hour for Education fundraiser in cooperation with the Long Beach Education Foundation.
For more information, go to www.onehourforeducation.com or call (562) 627-5650.