Latinas to be supported, recognized at third annual ELLAS conference

Embracing Latina Leadership AllianceS (ELLAS), a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization will host its third annual conference and awards ceremony entitled “21st Century Latinas- A Journey From Good To Greatness,” at the Westin Long Beach Hotel on Friday September 26 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
ELLAS invites 400 Long Beach and Los Angeles Unified School District high school Latinas to join more than 150 Latino professionals for a day of invaluable exposure and inspiration. The conference is designed to promote education, leadership development and mentorship opportunities for Latinas as a proactive approach to addressing the escalating academic dropout rate among Latinos.
Speakers for the conference will be: Pilar Pinel, ELLAS founder/president; and Nancy Foster, First Lady of Long Beach and Mistress of Ceremony.
Presenters include State Farm Insurance, United States Immigration and Border Protection Agency, United States Superior Court Interpreter/Translation Division, Kaiser Permanente, California Highway Patrol Agency, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, City of Los Angeles Fire Department, California State University Long Beach, Long Beach Community College, Wells Fargo Bank, University California Irvine, Verizon and a panel of Latina authors.
ELLAS’ mantra “A Journey From Good To Greatness” embraces the annual recognition and celebration of exemplary Latina role models and honorary Latinas who have influenced our state’s and country’s social, judicial, political, educational, corporate and business landscape.
“I am proud of ELLAS’ continued growth, [its] recognition as a model program and the continued sponsors and partners, which continue to prove invaluable in providing educational leadership development and mentoring programs for deserving high school Latinas,” said Pinel.
ELLAS was formed to address the need for mentors, stronger educational matriculation rates and leadership development opportunities to benefit Latina high school students interested in pursuing higher education and 21st Century careers.