The Signal Tribune newspaper

Filed under Community

Kids mentoring program seeking volunteers

Power 4 Youth, an academic mentoring program for middle-school students, will be hosting a no-obligation information meeting for prospective volunteers on Tuesday, Aug 28 at 6:30pm at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, 370 Junipero Ave., one of five community sites the program operates.
The program is seeking community members “to act as champions and make a difference by mentoring our youth for only one and a half hours each week.” Mentors meet with their students, one-on-one, at a supervised Power 4 Youth site, assisting with academics while building a caring, consistent relationship, according to the program’s officials. Free training and support is provided for all mentors throughout the year.
“Mentoring provides youth with the opportunity to develop a caring, consistent relationship with a non-parental adult who shows them that they are valued and assures them they can achieve their highest potential,” said Maryam Diaab, Power 4 Youth’s executive director. “We always have students who are seeking leadership, support and guidance in their lives and know that our community is full of adults who can fill that role.”
Samana Budhathoki, the program’s match supervisor, said the mentoring allows students to start the new year with new hopes, new joy and new beginnings.
“This is the time students really need you to help them thrive– not only in school, but in life in general,” Budhathoki said. “This is the time for you to make the difference in the life of a young person.”
More information is available at (562) 386-2428 or [email protected]

Source: Power 4 Youth