CSULB suspends person-to-person classes amid coronavirus concerns, regular classes set to resume April 20

2015 file photo

Concerns about the spread of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has prompted California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) officials to temporarily suspended person-to-person classes.

The school announced the move on Wednesday, March 11, two days after three individuals had tested positive for the virus in Long Beach.

“While there are no reported cases of COVID-19 related to the campus, it was decided to enact this as a preventative measure after receiving trusted medical advice,” according to the school’s statement.

Professors were given five days, Thursday, March 12 through Tuesday, March 17, to prepare for “alternative delivery of instruction,” which begins on Wednesday, March 18.

“The campus is currently anticipating the conclusion of alternative delivery of instruction and resumption of regular operations on Monday, April 20 barring any change in the assessment of campus safety,” the school’s statement read.

Despite the shift to postpone classes, the campus is still open and “many operations will continue normally.” This includes the student dining hall and housing. The school also stated that CSULB sports teams will still compete, however, it was recently announced that some tournaments would go on without a crowd.

The Big West Conference also announced that its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments will be played without spectators in Long Beach and Anaheim as a precaution for preventing the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

“The Big West Board of Directors, comprised of the chief executive officers of the nine member universities, strongly feel that this is a prudent way to help slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus while being sensitive to our student-athletes who have pointed towards playing in the tournament all season,” Commissioner Dennis Farrell said.

The women’s tournament began Tuesday night with two first-round games at the Walter Pyramid at Cal State Long Beach. Two quarterfinal games will be played at Walter Pyramid Wednesday. Two semifinal games will be played Friday at Honda Center in Anaheim, the site of Saturday’s championship game.

As of press time, CSULB officials have not scheduled new third-party events prior to May 1.

“This proactive step is being taken because of the university’s commitment to the health and safety of its members and supports the concept of ‘social distancing,'” CSULB stated. “Research shows that reducing the concentration of people in an area can lower the infection risk. ”

Local updates on the virus can be seen by clicking here.

The COVID-19 page of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention agency can be reached here.